The car battery is one of the most important parts of your car. Without it, you won’t be able to start your car and use many features inside it. Moreover, the battery also is one of the most expensive expenses that you need to pay for treating your car. Replacing it few times a year will only waste your money. But, when it’s broken, what can we do? The answer is simple. You can recondition the battery. You can even do it by yourself because most of the reconditioning method is doable by anyone.
Now, to start the battery reconditioning procedure, you need to prepare several pieces of equipment. Here is the list of pieces of equipment that you need to prepare:
– Safety goggles,
– Glove with Neoprene Chemical-Resistant feature,
– Apron or anything to protect your clothes,
– The charger for the battery,
– Plastic funnel,
– Distilled water,
– Epsom salt (1/2 – 1 lbs),
– Plastic bucket,
– 1 lb of baking soda,
– Battery post cleaner and hydrometer (optional).
– Wear safety goggle and gloves. Keep wearing from the start to the finish of this procedure,
– Clean the battery post (terminal). You can use the battery post cleaner or you can use the DIY solution that you’ve prepared,
The DIY solution – in order to prepare your own car battery post cleaner solution, you need to mix a tablespoon of water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Mix them until it turns into a paste-like mixture. Then, use a toothbrush to apply it on the battery post. Scrub the battery post with the brush. The solution works well if you find there are foams forming up on the post. It means that the corrosion has been cleaned up. You also can change the toothbrush with a steel brush or 300-grain sandpaper for severe corrosion case.
– Clean the outside part of the battery. Use a mix of baking soda and water. Wipe it with cloth from the top to the bottom and all area around the caps and post,
– Now, you can move to the next step, which is testing the current voltage of the battery, before moving to the reconditioning your car battery.
Testing the Battery Voltage
– Turn on your voltmeter,
– Connect the voltmeter measuring stick to the battery terminals. Make sure you connect the positive and negative part correctly,
– Check the result.
- 12.6V and more – the corrosion is the only problem. Once you clean it, you can use the battery,
- 12.4V or lower – your car batteryneeds reconditioning,
- 0 V – the reconditioning procedure won’t be able to fix it. You need to buy a new battery,
– Now, you can move to the recondition procedure or other procedure, according to the result that your voltmeter showed.
Removing the Acid and Cleaning the Battery Cells
You will deal with acid here; therefore we see it as one of the dangerous steps. You need to make sure you wear the goggles, gloves, and apron. Plus, you need to choose the well-ventilated room to do this step. Here are the procedures:
Remove the Acid
– Use the screwdriver to remove the caps. You need the flathead screwdriver. Usually, there are only 2 or 3 caps. But, sometimes the car battery also has 6 caps. Remove all caps.
– Remove the acid into the bucket. Do it gently by leaning the battery into the bucket. Do not rush it out! Make sure all acid is removed by placing the battery upside down above the bucket.
– Add the baking soda, if there is some acid spill outside the bucking. This will neutralize the acid effect.
– Add the baking soda into your old battery acid that you just put into the bucket. This way, you don’t need to worry when you throw it away later.
Clean the Battery Cell
– Mix ½ gallon of distilled water and ½ lb of baking soda,
– Use a funnel to pour the mixture into the car battery cell until it is full. Do it on every cell,
– Put back the battery cap,
– Shake the battery for 30 seconds to 1 minute,
– Remove the cap and empty the battery from the baking soda mixture,
– Now, you are ready for reconditioning your car battery.
Reconditioning the Car Battery
Prepare the new electrolyte mixture. You can do this by mixing the distilled water and Epsom salt. This mixture will help you to increase the battery voltage and amps it’s produced. This mixture also useful to prevent the sulfating process on the car battery plates,
To make the mixture, you need to use ½ lb of Epsom salt and ½ gallon of distilled boiling water. You need to boil the distilled water, so the Epsom salt will be easier to mix with water. You also need to pour the Epsom salt slowly while stirring the boiled distilled water. When the Epsom salt remains to disappear from the water that means your electrolyte is ready.
Now, you can pour this electrolyte liquid into your battery. Use a funnel to make it easier to do. Make sure you pour it until it hit the fill-up level. Then, put the cap and shake it for one to two minutes. Remove the caps and you are ready to charge the battery.
– Prepare the battery charger.
– Place it far away from the battery and do not connect it to the power socket first to avoid sparks when you connect it to the battery,
– Connect it to the battery. Make sure the red cable (positive lead) to the positive battery terminal, and the black cable (negative lead) to the negative battery terminal,
– Use the 12v/2amp setting to charge your car battery,
– Do the slow charge for 24 hours to 36 hours (recommended),
– Once the charging time is over, unplug the battery charger from a power socket,
– Remove the battery charger cable from the battery,
– Use a voltmeter to test the battery voltage current. If you see 12.6v+, your reconditioning procedure is successful. But, if you see 12.43v or more, you need to add more electrolytes and charge it for another 12 hours.
That’s the method to recondition your car battery. If you want more information, you can always use the guide from ex battere. They will give you detail instruction on how to make your car battery work again.